Reinhardt, ChristopherProfessor/Feedlot Extension Specialist
125 Call Hall
Manhattan, KS 66506
Area(s) of SpecializationBeef Feedlot Specialist
EducationB.S. , University of Wisconsin - Madison, 1988
M.S. , Texas A&M University, 1991
Ph.D. , Kansas State University, 1994
A native of Wisconsin, Dr. Reinhardt received a B.S. in Meat and Animal Science from the University of Wisconsin, an M.S. in Nutrition from Texas A&M University, and a Ph.D. in Nutrition from good ol’ Kansas State. Chris’ focus has been on nutritional and hormonal manipulation of body composition and beef quality. After 11 years in the feed and animal health industries working throughout the High Plains and Northern Plains, he came back to K-State in 2005 as the Extension Feedlot Specialist with a 80% extension : 20% research appointment. In his spare time Chris enjoys hunting, church activities, playing guitar with friends, and his family.
Notable extension programs include:
- The Beef Cattle Institute at Kansas State University
- Feedlot Nutritionist Boot Camp
- Cattle Feeders' College
- Feedlot Facts monthly newsletter
- Management Minute monthly newsletter
Notable publications include:
- Reinhardt, C. D., and W. D. Busby. 2014. An audit of the current U.S. Department of Agriculture frame size scoring system. J. Anim. Sci. 2014.92:1–6. doi:10.2527/jas2013-7425.
- Reinhardt, C.D., C. I. Vahl, B.E. Depenbusch, J.P. Hutcheson, and D.U. Thomson. 2014. Feeding zilpaterol hydrochloride is associated with decreased dry matter intake shortly after initiation of feeding dependent on season and previous intake. J. Anim. Sci. (in press).
- Neely, C.D., D.U. Thomson, C.A. Kerr, and C.D. Reinhardt. 2014. Effects of three dehorning techniques on behavior and wound healing in feedlot cattle. J. Anim. Sci. jas.2013-7424; published ahead of print March 26, 2014, doi:10.2527/jas.2013-7424.
- D. J. Rezac, D. U. Thomson, M. G. Siemens, F. L. Prouty, C. D. Reinhardt, and S. J. Bartle. 2014. A survey of gross pathologic conditions in cull cows at slaughter in the Great Lakes region of the United States. J. Dairy. Sci. (in press).
- D.J. Rezac, D.U. Thomson, S.J. Bartle, J.B. Osterstock, F.L. Prouty, and C.D. Reinhardt. 2014. Prevalence, Severity, and Relationships of Lung Lesions, Liver Abnormalities, and Rumen Health Scores Measured at Slaughter in Beef Cattle. J. Anim. Sci. published 21 April 2014, 10.2527/jas.2013-7222.
- Reinhardt, Christopher D., Tiffany L. Lee, Daniel U. Thomson, Laman K. Mamedova, and Barry J. Bradford. 2013. Restricted nutrient intake does not alter serum-mediated measures of implant response in cell culture. Journal of Animal Science and Biotechnology. 4:45.
- Torres, Siddartha, MVZ; Dan U. Thomson, DVM, PhD; Nora M. Bello, DVM, PhD; Bruce Nosky, DVM; and Chris D. Reinhardt, PhD. 2013. Comparative efficacy of gamithromycin and tulathromycin for the control of undifferentiated bovine respiratory disease complex in high risk calves under field conditions. Amer. J. Vet. Res. 74(6):839-46.
- Torres, Siddartha, MVZ; Dan U. Thomson, DVM, PhD; Nora M. Bello, DVM, PhD; Bruce Nosky, DVM; and Chris D. Reinhardt, PhD. 2013. Comparative efficacy of gamithromycin and tulathromycin for the treatment of undifferentiated bovine respiratory disease complex in high risk calves under field conditions. Amer. J. Vet. Res. 74, No. 6, Pages 847-853.
- Munson, R.D., D.U. Thomson, C.D. Reinhardt. 2012. Effects of delayed steroid implanting on health, performance, and carcass quality in high health risk, auction market-sourced feedlot steers. J. Anim. Sci. 90:4037-4041.
- Reinhardt, C.D., M.L. Hands, T.T. Marston, J.W. Waggoner, and L.R. Corah. 2012. Relationships between feedlot health, average daily gain, and carcass traits of Angus steers. Prof. Anim. Sci. 28:11-19.
- Thomson, Daniel U., Eric S. Moore, Brad J. White, and Chris D. Reinhardt. 2012. Case Study: Effects of Bovine Respiratory Disease on performance and marbling deposition are mitigated in calves fed to a common yield grade endpoint. Bov. Pract. 46(Spring):52.
- Reinhardt, C.D., and L.R. Corah. 2010. Effects of anabolic implants on growth and carcass traits of feedlot steers and heifers: A meta-analysis. J. Anim. Sci. 88 (supp. 2):823.
- Reinhardt, C.D., W.D. Busby, and L.R. Corah. 2009. Relationship of various incoming cattle traits with feedlot performance and carcass traits. J. Anim. Sci. 87: 3030-3042.
- Wallace, J.O., C.D. Reinhardt, D.U. Thomson. 2009. Effects of Concurrent Metaphylaxis with Chlortetracycline and Tulathromycin on High-Risk Cattle Health and Performance. Bov. Pract. 43 (1) : 14-17.
- Wileman, B.W., D.U. Thomson, C.D. Reinhardt, and D.G. Renter. 2009. Analysis of modern technologies commonly used in beef cattle production: Conventional beef production verses non-conventional production using meta-analysis. J. Anim. Sci. 87: 3418-3426.
- Wagner, J.J., N.E. Davis, and C.D. Reinhardt. 2007. A meta-analysis evaluation of feeding melengestrol acetate to feedlot heifers implanted with estradiol and/or trenbolone acetate. Prof. Anim. Sci. 23 (6): 625-631.