Applying to Graduate School


Although firm deadlines are not established, students seeking admission to graduate programs in the Department of Animal Sciences and Industry for summer or fall semester admission should begin the application process during the previous November to December, or, for spring semester admission, during the previous July to August.

As a general guideline, students applying to the program should have a minimum of a 3.0/4.0 cumulative GPA or their last 60 hours should be a 3.0/4.0. In special circumstances, students with a 2.8/4.0 will be considered on a provisional basis, if space is available.

Limited numbers of Graduate Research Assistantships (GRA) and Graduate Teaching Assistantships (GTA) are available on a competitive basis. No additional application materials are required. Students will be evaluated for assistantship support at the time of evaluation for admission.

Review the following application requirements before you begin your online application. For additional assistance to the online application, visit the graduate school website.


    The graduate school application is online through CollegeNet. You will need to create a CollegeNet account or sign in using an existing account. Your CollegeNet account will allow you to sign in to access your Activity Log, a personalized status page showing any applications you have previously started or have already submitted.


    The fee for U.S. citizens and permanent residents is $65 and for international applicants, it is $75 (U.S.) payable with credit card through CollegeNet.


    You will need to upload a transcript to CollegeNet for each college or university where you received your bachelor's degree or completed any advanced course work to upload an official transcript. This will need to include a copy of the 'Transcript Explanation' which is usually on the reverse side of the transcript. Students whose transcripts are not in English must furnish a translation by an appropriate authority. Failure to list any colleges or universities attended may result in dismissal from the University.


    A statement of objectives will need to be uploaded. Your statement of objectives should contain your academic objectives giving specific reasons for the selection of your field of study, contemplated research areas, and professional plans. Generally, this should be a couple of paragraphs in length and contained on a single page. If you have been in contact with a specific graduate faculty member in the program and desire to work with that person as your graduate mentor, note that in your statement of objectives.


    You will provide the emails of the individuals writing the letters of recommendation on your online application. CollegeNet will then email a request to each individual requesting to upload a letter and submit an evaluation form.


    The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is not required for admission, but may be helpful in the evaluation process. If your GRE scores are submitted on your online application, the admission committee will consider them as a part of the application file. You may request the Educational Testing Service to send your scores to Kansas State University. If you indicated where you wanted your scores sent (the academic department and Kansas State University) when you took the test, your scores will automatically be sent.

Additional Requirements for International Students


    To demonstrate competence in the English language, an official report of score on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) must be sent to Kansas State University (school code 6334) for all applicants whose primary language is not English. Those who have received a degree in the last two years from a United States college or university are not required to submit a TOEFL score but must take an English proficiency test upon arrival.

    English Proficiency Requirements:

    iBT TOEFL (internet based) scores must have a minimum total score of 79 with no part score below 20 on the reading, listening, and writing sections.

    Applicants who are submitting a paper-based TOEFL (PBT) test scores must have a minimum total score of 550 with no part score below 55 on reading or listening sections and a TWE (Test of Written English) score of 5.0 or higher.

    Applicants who are submitting an IELTS score must have a minimum total score of 6.5 with part scores of 6.5 or higher on the reading, listening, and writing sections.

    Those who do not meet the minimum proficiency standard will be required to complete specified courses offered by the English Language Program (ELP) at Kansas State.


    Each application must be accompanied by the Affidavit of Financial Support form verifying that financial support is available while attending Kansas State University.


    K-State has a mandatory tuberculosis testing policy. Online information.

    This policy requires testing of all students who have spent more than four months in a country with a high incidence of tuberculosis. International students from high-risk countries will not be allowed to enroll until they have completed testing. This testing must be done in the United States. Test results from outside the United States will not be accepted. If students test positive in the United States prior to arrival at K-State, they should take their test results to Lafene Health Center.

    To ensure that students can enroll prior to the late enrollment date, please have them report to Lafene Health Center for testing as soon as they arrive at K-State. However, students are encouraged to purchase health insurance prior to taking the TB test.

    The TB skin test is free, however, students who test positive will be required to have chest x-rays for which there is a charge. If the student is required to have a chest x-ray and has not purchased health insurance prior to testing, he-she will not receive a reimbursement for medical charges (health insurance must be in effect).

    The Kansas Board of Regents requires that international students and their dependents (if they are with the student) purchase or be in possession of a medical insurance policy or equivalent coverage. GRA & GTA insurance plans can be purchased during enrollment times. Graduate students can also enroll in a health insurance plan through KBOR.