Beef Team Webinars
KSU Beef Team Hosts "Drought Preparedness for the Cow-Calf Producer" Webinar - July 9, 2020
The webinar included tips to help Kansas beef cattle producers prepare to manage and reduce the impacts of drought and reduced forage availability on cow herds.
- Strategic reduction of grazing pressure – Sandy Johnson, 5:00 – 19:00
- Supplementation & early-weaned calf nutrition – Justin Waggoner, 19:01 – 49:05
- Early weaning calf health considerations – AJ Tarpoff, 49:40 – 1:09:06
- Q& A - 1:09 -1:24
K-State Beef Team Hosts "Managerial Tools and Tips in an Uncertain Climate and Market" Webinar - June 4, 2020
The program featured tips to help Kansas beef cattle producers make management decisions in light of the current weather patterns, ranging from flooding to drought, in Kansas and calf market volatility following COVID-19.
- Current weather situation and forecast – Mary Knapp, State Climatologist 2:35 – 14:18
- Preparing for heat stress events – AJ Tarpoff, - 14:35- 40:00
- Use of BeefBasis.com for making calf management and market decisions – Dale Blasi, Glynn Tonsor, 40:00 – 54:03
- Q & A – 54:40 - 59:00
K-State Hosts "Troubleshooting Uncertain Times in the Beef Industry" Webinar - May 14, 2020
The program featured brief updates on the current market situation from K-State Agricultural Economist Dr. Glynn Tonsor and a discussion on alternative protein sources led by Extension Specialists Dr. Jaymelynn Farney and Dr. Justin Waggoner. Dr. Dale Blasi, K-State extension beef cattle specialist, will address nutrition and management considerations that may be implemented by producers growing cattle in these challenging times.
- Market Outlook – Glynn Tonsor 2:00 – 15:16
- No distillers? Now what? – Jaymelynn Farney and Justin Waggoner 15:42 – 38:04
- Feeding options for growing diets – Dale Blasi, 39:00 – 55:05
- Q & A – 55:10 -1:06