Dr. Bob Hines Kansas Swine Classic
June 30 - July 1
Riley County Fairgrounds, CiCo Park
The Dr. Bob Hines Kansas Swine Classic is hosted annually by the K-State Department of Animal Sciences and Industry and K-State Research and Extension to provide Kansas youth ages 7-18 an opportunity to exhibit their swine projects. The event includes educational activities, such as a swine skillathon and photography contest, as well as showmanship, a prospect hog show and a market hog show. Entry information is released in late spring each year, with the show occurring in late June to early July at the Riley County Fairgrounds in CiCo Park in Manhattan.
Tuesday, June 15
5 p.m. Online Entries Due & Postmark Payment
Friday, June 30
8:30 a.m. Barn open for arrival
Noon. All pigs in place
1 p.m. Swine Photo Check-in by the show ring
1 – 3 p.m. Skillathon in the show ring
4 p.m. Ice cream party by the show ring
5:30 p.m. Showmanship contests
Saturday, July 1
8 a.m. Prospect Pig Show followed by Barrow and Gilt Market Pig Show
ENTRIES ARE DUE BY JUNE 15, 2023
Judge: Will Taylor, Ames, Iowa
Superintendents: Joel DeRouchey and Lexie Hayes
Kansas State University, Weber Hall, Manhattan, KS 66506
For information call: 785-532-6533
1. Online entries are required. Checks to accompany receipt from online entry system must be postmarked by June 15, 2023. The entry fee is $25/pig.
2. All market pigs (weighing between 220 to 290 lbs) will be divided into classes based on weight. There will be separate classes for all breed classes with at least 3 entries and crossbred classes. All breed classes without 3 entries will be shown as “All other breeds; AOB”. All classes will be established by weight at the show.
3. All prospect pigs (weighing between 125 to 219 lbs) will be divided into classes based on weight. There will be separate classes for all breeds with at least 3 entries and crossbred classes. All breeds with less than 3 entries will be shown as AOB. The minimum weight for prospect pigs to show is 125 lbs at show weigh-in.
4. Registration papers will be required on all purebreds shown in the prospect and market show. The exhibitor’s name must be listed on the registration paper. A copy of registration papers can be provided with entry submission or at weigh-in. No exceptions.
5. All pigs must be owned by the exhibitor and tagged with official Kansas 4-H ear tags by June 15, 2023.
6. An exhibitor may enter up to four pigs.
7. Pigs will be penned upon arrival off the trailer. 2 pigs/pen. Due to barn capacity and limited pen space, show management reserves the right to reduce the number of entries allowed per family.
The showmanship contest will be open to any Kansas Swine Classic exhibitor. Swine exhibited in the showmanship classes must be owned by the showmanship exhibitor except for the Future K-Staters division in which a pig entered by a 4-Her must be used. Showmanship will be divided into three divisions. Divisions will be determined by age as of January 1, 2023.
Senior Division — 15-18 years of age
Intermediate Division — 11-14 years of age
Junior Division — 7-10 years of age
Future K-Staters — Youth who are not exhibitors
Awards will be presented to the Top 5 showmen in the Senior, Intermediate and Junior divisions.
Market Show Awards
Premiums will be given to the top half of each class.
Grand Champion Market Pig — $150 plus buckle
Reserve Champion Market Pig — $125
3rd Overall Market Pig — $100
4th Overall Market Pig — $75
5th Overall Market Pig — $50
Prospect Show Awards
Premiums will be given to the top half of each class.
Grand Champion Prospect Pig — $150 plus buckle
Reserve Champion Prospect Pig — $125
3rd Overall Prospect — $100
4th Overall Prospect — $75
5th Overall Prospect — $50
Youth will have the opportunity to test their knowledge and compete for prizes in a Swine Skillathon. This interactive event will offer three age divisions: 7-10, 11-14, and 15-18. The skillathon will be open from 1 to 3 p.m. on Friday in the show barn. During that time frame, it will be come-and-go and youth may participate at their convenience. It will take approximately 30 minutes for youth to complete the skillathon stations. Each participant will need access to a mobile device.After the completion of the skillathon contest, all youth and adults will have the opportunity to view the answers and other age division’s stations. Prizes will be given to Swine Classic participants only.
Youth may submit up to two swine-related photos for the photography contest. The photo entries are to be taken by the exhibitor. Check-in will be at 1 p.m. on Friday. Photos should be 8x10 size and should not be framed or matted. Photos will be placed in plastic sleeves and displayed throughout the weekend. We assume no responsibility for lost or damaged photos. There will be no age group divisions. Prizes will be given to the Champion and Reserve Champion “The People’s Choice” award. Voting will be open at 1 p.m. and close at the conclusion of Showmanship on Friday.
Awards for all educational contests will be presented on Saturday morning between the prospect and market shows.
By submitting a show entry, participants authorize Kansas State University, and/or K-State Research and Extension or its assignees to photograph and record their image and/or voice (or that of their child under age 18) for use in current or future research, educational, promotional programs, and printed or electronic publications. Families understand the results for the show will be shared via an online platform. To withhold consent, email email@example.com to communicate those wishes.
Four Points by Sheraton 785-539-5311
Bluemont Hotel 785-473-7091
Fairfield Inn 785-539-2400
Holiday Inn Express 785-320-7454
Holiday Inn at the Campus 785-539-7531
Comfort Inn 785-770-8000
The Kansas Swine Classic is sponsored by the K-State Research and Extension Service and the Kansas State University Department of Animal Sciences and Industry.