Manhattan, KS 66506
Area(s) of Specialization
Animal feed safety, livestock feed manufacturing, feed ingredient stability
B.S. Animal Science and Industry, Kansas State University, 2007
M.S. Animal Science, Kansas State University, 2009
Ph.D. Nutritional Sciences, Iowa State University, 2012
Dr. Cassie Jones is the Undergraduate Research Coordinator in the Department of Animal Sciences & Industry at Kansas State University. She coordinates undergraduate students interested in research projects across disciplines and species. Cassie teaches ASI 561: Undergraduate Research in Animal Sciences & Industry and ASI 318: Fundamentals of Nutrition. Her research efforts include evaluating the effects of ingredients or feed processing technologies on feed safety and animal nutrition. Dr. Jones is originally from Beulah, N.D., where her family raised Rambouillet sheep. She is formally trained as an applied swine nutritionist. She and her husband, Spencer, have three children, Ty, Hayden, and Hadley, and raise Angus cattle near Wamego.
Recent Peer-Reviewed Journal Publications
- Mendez, E., C. Jones, and V. Trinetta. 2020. Engaging undergraduate students about the importance of food safety. Food Prot. Trends. Accepted
- Gebhardt, J.C., K. Thompson, J.C. Woodworth, S.S. Dritz, M.D. Tokach, J.M. DeRouchey, R.D. Goodband, C.K. Jones, R.C. Cochrane, M.C. Niederwerder, S.C. Fernando, and T.E. Burkey. 2020. Effect of dietary medium chain fatty acids on nursery pig growth performance, fecal microbial composition, and mitigation properties against porcine epidemic diarrhea virus following storage. J. Anim. Sci. Accepted.
- Cochrane, R.C., S.S. Dritz, J.C. Woodworth, C.R. Stark, M. Saensukjaroenphon, J. Gebhardt, J. Bai, P.C. Gauger, M.D. Tokach, and C.K. Jones. 2020. Assessing the effects of medium chain fatty acids and fat sources on PEDV infectivity. T. Anim. Sci. Accepted.
- Jones, C.K., J.C. Woodworth, S.S. Dritz, and C.B. Paulk. 2020. Reviewing the risk of feed as a vehicle for swine pathogen transmission. Vet. Med. Sci. Accepted.
- Stewart, S.S., J.C. Woodworth, S.S. Dritz, C.B. Paulk, and C.K. Jones. 2020. A review of strategies to impact swine feed biosecurity. Animal Health Res. Rev. Accepted.
- Jones, C.K. and A.B. Lerner. 2019. Implementing a course-based undergraduate research experience to grow the quantity and quality of undergraduate research in an Animal Science curriculum. J. Anim. Sci. 97(11):4691-4697.
- Acosta, J.A., A. L. Petry, S.A. Gould, C. K. Jones, C.R. Stark, A. C. Fahrenholz, and J. F. Patience. 2019. Enhancing digestibility of corn fed to pigs at two stages of growth through management of particle size using a hammermill or roller mill T. Anim. Sci. 4(1):txz146.
- Jones, C.K., S. Stewart, J.C. Woodworth, S.S. Dritz, and C.B. Paulk. 2019. Validation of sampling methods in bulk feed ingredients for detection of swine viruses. Trans. Emerg. Dis. 00:1-5.
- Magossi, G., M. U. Yucel, C.K. Jones, and V. Trinetta. 2019. Effects of different moisture and temperature levels on Salmonella survival in poultry fat. T. Anim. Sci. 3(4):txz090.
- Niederwerder, M.C., A.M.M. Stoian, R.R. Rowland, S.S. Dritz, V. Petrovan, L.A. Constance, J.T. Gebhardt, M. Olcha, C.K. Jones, J.C. Woodworth, Y. Fang, J. Liang, and T.J. Hefley. 2019. Infectious dose of African swine fever virus when consuming naturally in liquid and plant-based feed. Emerg. Infect. Dis. 25(5):891-897.