Manhattan, KS 66506
Area(s) of Specialization
Animal feed safety, livestock feed manufacturing, feed ingredient stability
View My Curriculum Vitae (PDF)
B.S. Animal Science and Industry, Kansas State University, 2007
M.S. Animal Science, Kansas State University, 2009
Ph.D. Nutritional Sciences, Iowa State University, 2012
Dr. Cassie Jones is the Undergraduate Research Coordinator in the Department of Animal Sciences & Industry at Kansas State University. She coordinates undergraduate students interested in research projects across disciplines and species. Cassie teaches ASI 561: Undergraduate Research in Animal Sciences & Industry and ASI 318: Fundamentals of Nutrition. Her research efforts include evaluating the effects of ingredients or feed processing technologies on feed safety and animal nutrition. Dr. Jones is originally from Beulah, N.D., where her family raised Rambouillet sheep. She is formally trained as an applied swine nutritionist. She and her husband, Spencer, have three children, Ty, Hayden, and Hadley, and raise Angus cattle near Wamego.
Recent Peer-Reviewed Journal Publications
- Niederwerder, M.C., A.M.M. Stoian, R.R. Rowland, S.S. Dritz, V. Petrovan, L.A. Constance, J.T. Gebhardt, M. Olcha, C.K. Jones, J.C. Woodworth, Y. Fang, J. Liang, and T.J. Hefley. 2018. Infectious dose of African swine fever virus when consuming naturally in liquid and plant-based feed. Emerg. Infect. Dis. Accepted.
- Yoder, A.D., C.K. Jones, K. Herrick, C.R. Stark, and C.B. Paulk. 2018. Effects of low oil DDGS on pellet quality and pellet mill motor electrical efficiency. T. ASABE. In Press.
- Donadelli, R., C.K. Jones, R.S. Beyer, and G.C. Aldrich. 2018. The amino acid composition and protein quality of various egg, poultry meal by-products, and vegetable proteins used in the production of dog and cat diets. J. Poult. Sci. In Press
- Gebhardt, J.T., R.A. Cochrane, J.C. Woodworth, C.K. Jones, M.C. Niederwerder, M.B. Muckey, C.R. Stark, M.D. Tokach, J.M. DeRouchey, R.D. Goodband, J. Bai, P.C. Gauger, Q. Chen, J. Zhang, R.G. Main, and S.S. Dritz. 2018. Evaluation of the effects of flushing feed manufacturing equipment with chemically treated rice hulls on porcine epidemic diarrhea virus (PEDV) cross contamination during feed manufacturing. J. Anim. Sci. 96(10):4149-4158.
- Magossi, G., N. Cernicchiaro, S. Dritz, T. Houser, J. Woodworth, C. Jones, and V. Trinetta. 2018. Evaluation of Salmonella presence in selected United States feed mills. MicrobiologyOpen. e711.
- Martinez, A., C.K. Jones, C.R. Stark, L.J. McKinney, K.C. Behnke, and C.B. Paulk. 2018. Evaluating flushing procedures to prevent nicrbazin carryover during medicated feed manufacturing. J. Feed Sci. Technol. 242:1-7.
- Gebhardt, J.T., C.B. Paulk, J.A. DeJong, M.D. Tokach, J.C. Woodworth, J.M. DeRouchey, R.D. Goodband, K.F. Coble, C.R. Stark, C.K. Jones, and S.S. Dritz. 2018. Effect of roller mill configuration on growth performance of nursery and finishing pigs and milling characteristics. J. Anim. Sci. 96(6)2278-2292.
- Dee., S., F. Bauermann, M. Niederwerder, A. Singrey, T. Clement, M. DeLima, C. Long, G. Patterson, M. Shehan, A. Stoian, V. Petrovan, C.K. Jones, J. De Jong, J. Ji., G Spronk, J. Hennings, J. Zimmerman, B. Rowland, E. Nelson, P. Sundberg, D. Diel, and L. Minion. 2018. Survival of viral pathogens in animal feed ingredients under transboundary shipping models. PLoS ONE. 13(3): e0194509.
- Saensukjaroenphon, M., C.K. Jones, and C.R. Stark. 2018. The effect of extended mix times and sample preparation with different salt particles size on the uniformity of mix of a corn-soy swine diet. T ASABE. 61(2): 743-746.
- Williams, H.E., R.A. Cochrane, J.C. Woodworth, J.M. DeRouchey, S.S. Dritz, M.D. Tokach, C.K. Jones, S.C. Fernando, T.E. Burkey, Y.S. Li, R.D. Goodband, and R. Amachawadi. 2018. Effects of dietary supplementation of formaldehyde and crystalline amino acids on gut microbial composition of nursery pigs. Nature Sci. Rep. 8:8164-8171.